Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Myspace and SPAM

I asked my students where they have their web presence and quite a few said myspace. Some have had their own blogs their previously. They also mention they use it to keep in touch with friends who are distributed around the world. My only experience with it was when a short film, that I acted in, for an "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" pilot contest was posted there.

Although I already belong to a couple of social networking sites I thought I should experience myspace for myself. I found it a bit cluttered and can understand that any utility really only comes from inviting friends. But it was the friends request that threw me.

What surprised me was how quickly I started getting spam through it. I have gotten used to getting spam in my email. I do what I can to cull it out, ignore it and filter what I can. It still seems to come in at about a 1 to 4 ratio.

But when it comes in with an introduction of someone wanted to be your friend, it's just a little too personal. Kinda creepy actually.

Probably no more so than when an email phishing scam, through pure coincidence, appears to come from a bank you belong to. But whenever some scheme comes in and has an inkling of a personal connection, it sends a more severe warning signal out.

2 comments:

Adrian Dragomir said...

I have to agree about this myspace spam epidemic! I seem to always get friend requests from 'ladies of the night' that want me to chat with them over a web-cam, probably with the intent of a lasting friendship. Now I appreciate a pretty face as much as anyone, but when the same face appears with three different names in my friend request inbox...just goes to prove that even spammers are getting lazy about their work.

Droid116 said...

That's pretty funny, and so true. The couple of times I have been to my page while at work I am afraid of someone walking into my office with what is going on through those ads.

Second Book of Short Stories Out on Amazon

During the last year I wrote four short read collections called the Three Twisted Tales . Today they are available in aggregate as The Clock...