Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Strange Windows Update

When I popped on to the computer last night, I had an update request from one of the friendly icons perched on the bottom of my screen. "A new update is ready for your computer" it's thought balloon informed me.

I dutifully clicked on it and it began the update. I was taken aback when I realized what kind of program it wanted to install into my Windows directory. This new program would take a look at my Windows file, then tell me whether I had previously installed a pirated version of Windows and whether I needed to upgrade to a legitimate version. Well, since I bought the computer from Dell, with the Windows installed, I have a great deal of confidence that it was not a pirated version of the software.

It was the request that bothered me.

"Excuse me, can I come in and check for stolen goods?"

"What? Of course I don't have any stolen goods, I am a law abiding citizen."

"Then of course you don't mind if we invite ourselves in to just have a look around."

At least that's what it felt like. And coming in the guise of an update made it doubly troubling to me.

So I ended up not only canceling the update, but also checking the box which said not to ask to update this piece again. Which of course now makes me paranoid that a note has been taken somewhere that I am "uncooperative".

No comments:

Second Book of Short Stories Out on Amazon

During the last year I wrote four short read collections called the Three Twisted Tales . Today they are available in aggregate as The Clock...